Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mudd Sweet Mudd

Well, it's a new year and a new semester here at Mudd. And of course with that new semester there are new experiences. For example, monsoons. In Idaho I experienced very few monsoons. However, now that I am back at Mudd I have been afforded the opportunity to study one closely. After these last four days of studying, I am prepared to proffer a hypothesis: rain sucks. Royally.


Anywho, moving on from weather complaints. New semester means new classes. As far as topics go, I switch out an introductory Computer Science course for an introductory Biology course (which, hilariously, seems to be almost entirely genetics and evolution. That is, the parts of biology which are the least soft). Other than that, my Hum changes from the default Hum 1 to a religious studies course (Early Christianity and Theory) at Scripps. As for the rest, Physics goes from special relativity and intro to quantum to mechanics (good prof and math heavy),  Math goes from Linear Algebra I to Differential Equations I (excellent prof), and Chemistry goes from one strangely organized module to another (for you prospective freshman out there: We're currently modifying the core. I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to look like in the end, but hopefully it will be a bit less confusing for you than it is for us currently). We also pick up a physics lab which looks to be interesting. The equipment we've used is really good and the lab reports we're to write look intense (in the good-preparation-for-the-future-but-still-terrifying sense).

In other news, Mudd is starting up a program to offer over-the-phone homework help for local grade-schoolers. Sounded like fun to me, so I'm applying for a job there (which would also happen to be my first job). We start soon so you should be hearing about it in the near future.

That's about it for now. Looks to be an interesting semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment